Saturday, September 5, 2009

Online Pick of the Week (9/4): The Simpsons: “Dial ‘N’ For Nerder”

The Simpsons has always been one of my favorite shows, ever since I was a kid. But considering the big drop in quality overtime, I haven’t watched it much on Fox at all. I figure I’m better off watching something like Newhart reruns on WGN America. But some nights, I’ll watch reruns of the show on locally, and the station here that airs the show, WATL, seems to want to run only the more recent shows that are only a year or two old.

I’ve seen a bunch of the episodes, and I’ve seen some of the truly awful episodes, like “That ‘90’s Show,” which pretty much took the show’s important history established well on early in the series and tarnished it just to make the plot written for the episode to work, to rather mediocre ones like “Smoke on the Daughter.” But I saw one that stood out. One that I actually enjoyed from start to finish. One in which I laughed out loud a lot. That would be “Dial ‘N’ For Nerder.” I pretty much loved it all, from the Cheaters spoof to Bart and Lisa being scared out of their gourds after Martin’s cliffhanger moment, to detective Nelson Muntz, and to the NBC Mystery Movie reference at the end.

Now as a fan, I’m sad to say it, but I really don’t think that we’ll ever reach the quality of the early years ever again. But seeing episodes like “Nerder” just goes to show that a good episode can be put together. I just hate that any kind of enjoyable episodes these days seem way too few and far between.

The Simpsons episode “Dial ‘N’ For Nerder,” my online pick of the week!

No comments: