Thursday, November 20, 2008

WGN: Thanksgiving Newhart Marathon

Yay! We’ll be seeing a 26 episode marathon of Newhart on Thanksgiving Day on WGN America, starting at 2 pm!

I was wondering when we’d see a marathon of this show on WGN. I’ve been watching Newhart every week on WGN America and it’s been so great to see that the show is rewatchable after all these years, as with some shows I watched as a kid (i.e. Full House), I just can’t enjoy them as an adult. I missed about 99% of the Nick @ Nite and TNN airings, and over the years I only had about three episodes to enjoy until now, two which came from an old MTM VHS release, and the finale recorded from a TVLand marathon special.

In seeing the series again, I notice how much the show seemed to take off over time. Season one I think has it’s good episodes and moments, but I don’t think the show was anywhere near its stride yet. I think it started to get better with the permanent addition of Julia Duffy as Stephanie in season two, and even better with the addition of Peter Scolari and more appearances by Larry, Darryl, and Darryl. To this day, “Lady and the Tramps” is one of my all time favorite episodes of the series. After enjoying the show so much lately -- finding out that there will be a really decent sized marathon of this show really got me excited.

No comments: