Saturday, April 18, 2009

Online Pick of the Week: The Weakest Link (4/17)

My online pick of the week for this week is something else from the United Kingdom that I’ve wanted to see for the longest time; an episode of The Weakest Link hosted by Anne Robinson.

It took time for me to enjoy Anne’s version of the show when it first started here. But overtime, I was able to love the cold persona that Anne displayed. I normally can’t stand it when there’s frequent sniping and back-and-forth conflict between the contestants, but in this case, with this show, I found it to be rather fun to see. Perhaps because a show like this is made for it, and with other shows like 1 vs. 100 and Catch 21 (as much as I love the former show), I find that the ribbing with those shows seem to be kind of forced in an unnecessary atmosphere. It’s a shame that the frequent celebrity versions destroyed this show. And don’t get me wrong, as I’ve mentioned before, I LURVE me some all-star specials and themed shows, but the NBC era took it above and beyond.

I admit, I was so disappointed and upset by how things ended with the NBC version, so I didn’t give George Gray’s version a chance when it debuted. But in seeing the reruns now, I do like his style, and I can see how someone can prefer him over Anne. Her show personality was very cut-throat and icy. George, however, while he still was able to rib the contestants and the conflicting atmosphere was still there, the teasing from him was much more light-hearted and comical. My favorite host is Anne, but I can definitely see the George preference depending on what you prefer comedy wise.

It’s funny though. I am denouncing the use of frequent celebrity episodes, but the full UK episode I’ve found on YouTube is none other than a celebrity edition of the series.

The Weakest Link, my online pick of the week! G'bye!

No comments: