Monday, September 1, 2008

MTM: Finally!

Special thanks to vnisanian2001 at the GSN boards for pointing this out to me Saturday afternoon.

Mary Tyler Moore fans rejoice because it’s about time! At long last, the last three seasons of the classic sitcom will be coming to DVD!

I don’t know why Fox was reluctant anyway with this show. There were only three seasons left. The remaining three seasons won Emmys for best writing and best series. Season 5 has what’s arguably known as the most popular episode of the entire series: “Chuckles Bites The Dust.” And season 7 has the final show which has made history as one of the best finales a show has ever done and was very well received by fans. It’s thanks to those fans that the rest of this show is coming. And speaking of things coming to an end, I hope this is the beginning of the end of shows on DVD being abandoned. If not everywhere else, at least with Fox.

Now bear in mind, I’m no expert on the subject by any means, but I’ve come to realize that there are certain things to understand with classic shows on DVD. And this goes for anything that’s not current. Anything not making fresh episodes as I’m writing this entry. Things like the price and popularity factors of certain seasons. I notice how the New York Times article mentions All in The Family, and they couldn’t be more correct when it comes to that show’s status on DVD and the company behind it. Come on Sony, where’s the rest of All in the Family, The Jeffersons, The Facts of Life, Who’s The Boss?, and Maude? I mean, it’s not like we’re talking about short-lived shows that had no audience. All of these shows at one time or another became major hits and had long, healthy runs originally and in syndication. If you ask me, they should be completed by now.

There have been reports in the past about season 1 of Mary Tyler Moore not selling well initially, which I am not surprised to hear in the least. Season 1 was a great release, and it had many extras, which probably led to it costing so much. Side note: I will never complain about extras being released with a DVD set, especially with companies like CBS/Paramount who hardly release any, and season 1’s release had some GREAT ones. But I’d bet money that the original price being $45-55 dollars had some fans, like myself, waiting for the price to come down. And this goes for any show on DVD as well in my opinion. I love Supernatural to death, but I am not paying $49.99 for any season of it when I can just wait for an eventual sale. If I EVER pay that much, the DVD’s better come with a date with Jared Padalecki or Jensen Ackles.

But all that aside, even though there are no release dates listed as of yet, I am so excited anyway! My favorite show ever is about to be completed on DVD! Yes!

Forgive me if I seem like I am squealing like a fanboi. Because I am a little inside.

No comments: