Saturday, July 12, 2008

ATWT: Don't Ask, Don't Tell

Monday, July 7th:

First of all, just what was with that line of Noah's... "It'll only be a few years." A few "YEARS"?! Are you kidding me? I'm also pretty sure that in real life that if the minute those soldiers found out Noah was gay, he would have been gone. And wow, gotta love Sgt. Wilkins' response when Noah said he was gay. "I didn't hear that," just like a six-year-old. All that was missing was him putting his hands over his ears singing gibberish. It just amazes me... if who their cadets sleep with is none of the U.S. Military's business, then why are perfectly competent servicemen and women fired over it time and time again? Don't ask, don't tell? Give me a freaking break.

As far as the reunion scene goes, what a disappointment. Don't get me wrong, I'm happier than ever that they are finally together again. But this was where we should have seen Noah pour his heart out about why he couldn't join the army and why he came back to Luke in the end. This is what I mean when I say I wan't an angsty storyline with payoff in the end; the payoff would have been the emotional outpouring. That could have been a really great reunion scene, but all we got was something that lasted barely a half a minute, complete with a hug. I'm sorry, but if my boyfriend came back to me like that I would kiss him like there is no tomorrow, and I'd expect him to do the same. Tsk tsk, show.

*sigh* The lack of airtime is really one of the biggest pet peeves I have with this show when it comes to these two characters. It's basically the fact of the matter of them most of the time not on often enough, and when they are featured, the majority of the scenes on the episode are way too choppy.

I certainly think I was right when I say that this episode could not have been worse than what we've already seen in the past, but today's definitely wasn't one of the best. And while I wasn't really feeling this whole army bit, it's really more the lack of airtime that was the most disappointing and what made it the most frustrating. It just makes me wish they would have just reunited when Cyndi Lauper was on.

Enough of the cockblocking plot devices, please, and let's please get to some Nuke lovin' soon while we're still young.

No comments: