Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Diff’rent Strokes, Malcolm & Eddie, Thea and Sanford on BET

Yay, my first sitcom related post!

Diff’rent Strokes (1978-85 NBC; 1985-86 ABC) and Malcolm & Eddie (1996-2000 UPN) started airing on BET today! Coming in March, we’ll be seeing Sanford (1980-81 NBC) and Thea (1993-94 ABC).

Diff’rent Strokes coming isn’t quite THAT a big deal for me, seeing as the show airs here locally on WPCH/17 (a.k.a. Peachtree TV). But I am glad for the national exposure. The fans deserve it, and hopefully the show will be run all the way through. And maybe this will be a way to help Sony get off its rear and help get more of the series on DVD. BET now airs the show weekdays from 9-10 am ET.

Malcolm & Eddie I haven’t seen in a long time, probably since the original run on UPN, so I’m eager to check that out again and see if I enjoy it now as much as I did then. I notice sometimes with shows I loved as a kid, it’s not the same revisiting them later on in life. One big example for me as far as that goes is Full House. Malcolm & Eddie airs weekdays from 10-11 am, 4-5 pm, and 11 pm - 12 midnight, all times eastern.

Sanford starts March 1st. I’ve recently really been getting into Sanford & Son again watching reruns here locally, so the idea of Sanford coming back to television is extremely good news to me, especially since I didn’t get to see it on BET previously. It’s also funny since I was just reading about Sanford & Son and its sequels the other day and gained a big curiosity about Sanford. It’ll be interesting to see how the show was without Demond Wilson. Sanford starts in March on late Saturday nights at 2:30 am and Sunday mornings at 11:30 am ET.

Thea I’m not familiar with; if I’ve seen it in first run, I certainly don’t remember and I know I haven’t seen it in the past. I can’t wait to see Brandy before Moesha and Yvette Wilson before that and The Parkers (side note: I prefer The Parkers to Moesha). Thea airs Saturday nights at 3 am and Sunday afternoons at noon ET.

It’s really nice to see a network go through the vault for a change and get out some stuff that‘s not seen as much, compared to just re-airing the same things over and over.

1 comment:

Michael said...

I am so glad I will have a chance to see Sanford for the first time after loving Sanford and Son since I was a little kid. I do remember Thea a little bit. I definitely remember seeing Brandy credited as Brandy Norwood before she took over the one name status. :-) My DVR will working overtime. I've got to watch all week's GL so I can clear some room, although it looks like I have some time. ;-)