Saturday, March 28, 2009

Online Pick of the Week: May to December

I’m starting as to what I hope is going to be a regular occurrence here, a weekly entry for something I find to be truly great television-wise online, either a full episode or a clip or something to that effect, known as the online pick of the week!

This first pick is, for me, a truly wonderful discovery. It is the pilot episode of the British comedy May to December, which is one of the first Britcoms I ever saw, back when I lived in Indiana, on WFYI; the other two being Are You Being Served? and Keeping Up Appearances. I haven’t seen this in years! It ran originally from 1989-94 and focused on the lives of 53 year old widowed lawyer Alec Callender (Anton Rodgers) and a divorced 26 year old high school P.E. teacher named Zoe Angell (Eve Matheson).

One of the things that really drew me into the show was the writing, and the genre itself. While I enjoy other types of comedy, when I’m in the mood, I just love to sit down and relax with something that is gentle. And the fact that it is a romantic comedy helps even more. The type of show where I can have a good laugh and enjoy the chemistry the two actors have. Similar things can be said for other series like As Time Goes By and To The Manor Born.

There are also the other characters, including woman-crazy law firm partner Miles Henty, smart and loyal secretary Vera Flood, the not particularly bright assistant Hilary, and Alec’s funny and cheerful son Jamie. There’s also tension in the earlier part of the run as Alec’s daughter Simone disapproves of their relationship. I missed Eve Matheson after she left but the show was still fun to watch when Lesley Dunlop replaced her. It’s amazing because usually when one main character from a show like this is replaced, it can be hard to watch. Also, Ugly Betty fans may be interested in the last season. Ashley Jensen joined the cast as the ditzy secretary Rosie McConnichy.

Ever since I moved back to Georgia in 2001, I was hoping Georgia Public Broadcasting would air this series. And well, if my judgments from a new promo is true, another favorite, Coupling will be back soon, so I guess there’s always hope.

May to December, my online pick of the week!

No comments: