Monday, August 10, 2009

Who Wants To Be A Millionaire? 10th Anniversary Special Debut: Review

It’s really hard to believe this show is ten years old now. After a five year absence of primetime Millionaire, the show made its big return tonight!

Regis is as energetic as ever. It’s as if it’s night one of Millionaire in 1999 all over again. I loved the amount of energy tonight in the studio. It’s perfect for the show’s first time back at night in five years. I also enjoyed how the show’s opening spanned through all of the different eras.
I like how the new graphics for the show are well incorporated with the nighttime staples, like fastest finger. I also am glad to see Ask the Expert.

I’m not surprised that the timer was added within the show. And as with the daytime version, the timer itself I still don’t have much of a problem with, however, I really can’t stand the fact that the timer starts as the answers are being read. And it’s an even bigger problem with a host like Regis who likes to mingle a bit more with the contestants. With one of the earlier questions in the show, the contestant nearly ran out of time. The timer shouldn’t start until after all the possible answers are already read. I was worried that the timer aspect may affect the nighttime show in a negative way, because as mentioned, Regis likes to mingle. But my fears seem to be unfounded. Not a problem when it comes to that.

I was and still am a bit skeptical about the celebrity question at first. As much as I love the idea of Vanessa Williams appearing on night 2, celebrities on every episode was one of the things that killed it in 2002. But the good thing here is that they’re not on every episode all show.

Still, all around good show tonight and I am looking forward to future installments.

No comments: