Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Remembering Ed McMahon

Hollywood lost yet another legend this year. Edward Leo Peter McMahon, Jr., better known to the television audience as Ed McMahon, passed away yesterday at the age of 86.

I wish I had gotten the chance to see more of him with Johnny during his years as Carson’s sidekick on The Tonight Show. From what little I’ve seen, there were some great times and true legendary memories that were a part of that era of the series. Same with the Bloopers and Practical Jokes shows with Dick Clark. Talk about classic TV at its finest.

Besides his involvement with the Publishers Clearing House, I remember him best for his emceeing of the show Star Search. This came on when I was young every Saturday. It’s also incredible all the future stars that started on this series, whether they won or not: Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, Aaliyah, Drew Carey, Rosie O’Donnell. I always preferred this version much more over the one that aired a few years ago on CBS.

Rest in peace, Ed. You will be missed.

No comments: