Saturday, January 24, 2009

In Memoriam: Ricardo Montalban and Steven Gilborn

It’s January 2009 and we’ve already lost two celebrities of the television world.

One being the star of Fantasy Island, one of the many Aaron Spelling classics which ran from 1978-84 on ABC, Ricardo Montalban. I wish I had gotten to see more of this on TVLand back when they actually had some sort of variety, but I did like his performance on it. Who can forget his famous line “My dear guests, I am Mr. Roarke, your host. Welcome to Fantasy Island!”? Also, Star Trek fans may remember him as Khan Noonien. He was 88.

The second one, Steven Gilborn, most would probably remember best as Ellen’s dad Harold on her 1994-98 sitcom, Ellen on ABC. I checked some of his other work, which was primarily guest shots on other series. Fans of The Wonder Years may remember him as Kevin's algebra teacher. He also appeared on NYPD Blue, JAG, and The West Wing. He was 72.

No comments: