Monday, May 26, 2008

WGN's Retro Week

Great news for classic TV fans, especially fans 1970’s shows, because a few of them will be airing in primetime on WGN Superstation from 8-10 PM ET during the first week of June.

Monday, June 2nd features Mary Tyler Moore, and it’s the night I’m looking forward to the most. Tuesday, June 3rd features Barney Miller. Wednesday, June 4th will have Taxi. The Sweathogs will be seen on Thursday June 5th on Welcome Back, Kotter. And Friday June 6th will feature WKRP in Cincinnati.

I for one cannot wait for this. The 1970’s is my favorite decade of television and I love many of the shows from that time period, and unfortunately I don’t get American Life, so I haven’t had the chance to see Mary Tyler Moore and WKRP in Cincinnati in reruns since the TVLand airings. And I haven’t seen much of Taxi in many years. Word has it that there will be more classic TV coming to WGN, but it’s not known as to what classics in particular and when. You know, when I read that changes were coming to this network, I honestly cringed. Too many networks have changed for the worse in my eyes in the past three to four years, so I’m glad to finally have another network that will have some kind of classic feel to it, since there aren’t that many that are that easily accessible these days.

The only thing I wonder now is what other shows could be coming. I hope Mary Tyler Moore becomes a regular mainstay on the schedule at some point. I know for me that it’d be really nice to see more of the final three seasons of the run since Fox doesn’t seem to give a crap about this show on DVD anymore, which I find to be a shame for two reasons. One, you’d think they’d at least try to release season 5 since that has the episode “Chuckles Bites The Dust,” which is the most popular and well-known episode of the entire series. And secondly, they’ve seemed to have done such a good job with the DVD’s they have released. I only have season 1 right now but I’ve heard such good reviews about seasons 2-4 and I‘ll be ready to get them when I get some more extra money… ugh, I‘m so behind on my TV on DVD buying. I’m also betting Soul Train will stay on WGN since they’re still showing ‘70’s and ‘80’s episodes, which is good for those people who are fans but don’t have a local station that airs the show anymore.

One thing that should be pointed out is that the Retro Week will not be airing locally on WGN CW 9 in Chicago, it’ll only on the nationwide Superstation feed. However, that shouldn’t be a big loss for Chicago viewers since that area has MeTV.

No comments: