Monday, May 26, 2008

Remembering Dick Martin

Dick Martin (1922-2008)

Hollywood lost yet another legend over the weekend, this time, 86-year-old comedian and director Dick Martin, best known for his work on the classic series, Rowan and Martin’s Laugh-In, with his show business partner Dan Rowan.

Unfortunately, I’m not all that familiar with Laugh-In. I’ve seen many clips of the show but I’ve never gotten the chance to see a full episode. And what I have seen, I have enjoyed. I’m still hoping a network will air this again someday.

On the other hand I am very familiar with his game show work. And particularly, what's known as arguably his most memorable moment in that industry, which occurred on Password Plus in 1980. Of course, it’s this one, the France-for-French moment. What a lark that was. And it was always fun seeing him on Super Password or Match Game. I also actually enjoyed him on Mindreaders and I wish the show ran longer than it did. I’m also familiar with some of his sitcom work.

I’ve seen him on The Bob Newhart Show and Newhart and I noticed he directed a number of episodes of each show. He also guest starred on The Love Boat, Fantasy Island, The Nanny, Diagnosis Murder, 3rd Rock From the Sun, as well as numerous other series.

Nothing else much to say except what a sad loss for Hollywood, and my thoughts are with his family and friends.

No comments: