Wednesday, January 2, 2008

ATWT: A Victorian Christmas and a Metro New Year

For the episodes that aired on December 21 and December 28.

December 21st:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzVCQdLtggE part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s92myUe6ahk part 2

As far as the Victorian Christmas show went, It was nice seeing the whole cast, even the vets on as well for the Christmas show. I was also surprised that considering what happened the day before that they actually hugged each other when they greeted. Why can’t we see more of that in the present day story? My only big complaint is that I just wish that the episode didn’t focus so much on the Paul/Rosanna/Craig/Meg story more than the others. Enough already with that! And of course, considering the time period that this was set, I can’t say I was surprised that Luke and Noah were both closeted and from the looks of it, couldn’t really pursue their relationship. And may I be superficial for one minute and just remark at how fine Van and Jake looked in those tuxes? And despite my annoyance with more attention paid to the quad story, it’s nice to see a current soap go all out for the holiday.

December 28th:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIBBax3x6qM

In the past year and a half, several important characters have been on the back burner or have been completely destroyed (e.g. Adam Munson), but if there’s one thing that hasn’t been massacred, it’s Holden and Luke’s father/son relationship. I never tire of it and the New Year’s Eve episode is another example. It’s also nice to see more of Luke walking. My problem with the debut party at Metro was that there really weren’t enough people there. Where was Henry and Vienna? Where was Lisa? Where was Lucinda? And of course, while I liked seeing Luke and Noah happy, would it kill the powers to be to them to have them interact with more of the characters? And, go, Noah. on getting your gay merit badge!

As far as affection being shown is done, I will still not give up. After calming down to a rational level, I decided that instead of just sitting in front of my computer bitching about it, I chose to actually do something about it. So after a day to relax, I sat down and wrote Brian T. Cahill of Procter & Gamble. I did mention how grateful I am for the storyline, how good the actors are in the storyline, how Luke’s coming out last year helped me get into the genre full swing again after a four-year drought. But I did mention that I’m dissatisfied with the lack of decent airtime and affection and that they‘ll please consider the two negative things I and other fans had brought up to their attention. I can keep writing when the time comes. This is the second time I’ve ever written to a company about any kind of dissatisfaction about what’s happened; the last time writing to SOAPnet about them pulling Another World. So it’s obvious that I don’t have much experience in this field. I’ve also signed a petition with over two thousand signatures, and try to vote in the Soaps In Death, Soap Opera Digest and polls of the like regularly. Of course I want a bit of change, but I want to remind myself as well as others that the show is taped well in advance; and to see that these changes take effect we have to be a bit more patient. They say that there’s a big storyline cooked up for them in the coming year. I’m interested to see how this goes, especially since the writer’s strike is still on. It appears that Christopher Goutman is now fully in charge with writing as well as far as I know since Jean is not there.

All I can say now is that I hope that 2008 will be a great year for Luke and Noah and let‘s hope the show as a whole gets better.

No comments: