Saturday, May 16, 2009

Online Pick of the Week: What’s My Line? (5/15)

This week’s selection arises from of my withdrawal sufferings from the recent Goodson-Todman losses on GSN; a clip of the late George Carlin as a mystery guest on the classic panel series What’s My Line?.

The mystery guest segment is one of my favorite parts of this show. So many great celebrities over the years, not only on the original version, but the syndicated one as well. Dick Clark, Barbara Walters, James Earl Jones, Aretha Franklin, Dick Cavett, Rodney Dangerfield… I could go on and on.

While the original version was a huge success and I loved the chemistry of panelists Bennett Cerf, Arlene Francis, Dorothy Kilgallen and moderator John Charles Daly as much as the next fan, I do think the syndicated version is a bit under appreciated. I thought the contestants giving demonstrations of their occupations was a really nice touch, and it helped lead to some really interesting moments; like Vidal Sassoon showing off his talents, or the panelists participating in a pancake turning contest. And I really enjoy seeing panelists like Soupy Sales, Nipsey Russell, Bert Convy, Anita Gillette, and of course, Arlene Francis.

The late comedian George Carlin appearing on What’s My Line? in 1968, my online pick of the week!

No comments: