Sunday, February 12, 2012

Remembering Whitney Houston

Like many, my heart was broken when I heard the news that legendary singer and actress Whitney Houston passed away at the age of 48. Such a tragic loss. And way too young. I will always have memories of her music growing up. My personal favorite song of hers was always "It's Not Right But It's Okay." Movies she's worked on such as Cinderella and The Bodyguard have always held a place in my heart.

One other thing about this that I do want to say at the moment: I can't begin to say how disappointing the MTV tribute was late last night. I know we have channels like MTV Jams and VH-1 Soul, but how hard could it have been to air some more Whitney on the actual MTV feed? I think people could have lived without
Teen Mom and Jersey Shore reruns for one night.

It was also disappointing that there wasn't a big selection of videos shown. I just don't understand this. What could have happened? Legal issues? The ones shown were nice but it feels like there could have been more done on their end. Especially after the Michael Jackson tribute. Not to mention how do you go from "The Greatest Love of All" to Jersey Shore just like that? And not even a tribute slide or anything after it was over? Really?

But then again this is the same channel that didn't even bother to do much of anything to celebrate the 30th anniversary of its own launch on on its own channel. So I guess I shouldn't be all that surprised.

Here she is performing on an August 1984 episode of As the World Turns:

Rest in peace, Whitney. I will always remember you for your talent.

No comments: