Tuesday, October 30, 2007

It's Password... It's Million Dollar Password!

According to this recent Variety article, it looks like Fremantle is planning on reviving another Goodson-Todman classic game show; this time it’s the word game Password. And that’s not all. The top prize is $1,000,000.

I have to say I’ve always wondered what a revival for this show would be like, and I have always been excited at the idea of a new version (after all, Password is my second favorite game show of all-time, right after Pyramid). The host for it will be Regis Philbin. I can’t see a problem with that. Regis is an experienced host, and I think he’ll do a good job of entertaining the audience as well as keeping the game rolling at a proper pace.

One thing I am worried about is the million dollar factor. The contestants are supposedly betting all their accumulated monies on the million dollar bonus round. But it’s not necessarily the money amount itself that has me worried, though I do think that a million is a bit high for this show. It’s the fear that the people behind it will make the show gimmicky and have it be all about the million and nothing more, and that the game will be an afterthought. Believe me, I love it when the stakes are high as much as anyone, but I honestly feel that $50,000-$100,000 is tension enough. In fact, I think this show screams “syndicate me” much more over “big, huge money value high-stakes network show.”

Some folks have stressed the fact that there aren’t many good celebrities out there for a show like this. To that I have to say that I personally do not care who they get to play as long as they know how to play the game decently. They don’t have to be "A-list" stars. Lack of the most famous people possible has never stopped me from enjoying celebrity based game shows in the past so that won’t be a problem for me now. Of course, the little fanboi that’s in me will squeal in delight if they pick Jared Padalecki and Jensen Ackles of Supernatural, America Ferrera of Ugly Betty, or Chandra Wilson from Grey’s Anatomy. But truthfully, as long as they are careful and wise in choosing the stars, I will be content. There is only one person in which I think their appearance on this revival is an absolute must, and that is none other than Betty White. If Fremantle and CBS are reading this, please get her. Seriously. Not only was her late husband Allen Ludden, “Mr. Password” himself, but this is also someone who is a loyal friend and true to the game show community, especially to Password.

If they don’t half-ass any of the main game or bonus formats I think they’ll be just fine. I still have my doubts about the million dollar part of it all, but I think it can be pulled off if the game is treated with respect. Please don't pull a Card Sharks '01 on us, Fremantle!

No comments: