Sunday, June 24, 2012

Daytime Emmys 2012


My thoughts:




I loved the red carpet special right before the show. A beautiful night for the celebrities of daytime to strut their stuff. Also, a cute opening with Anderson Cooper and Oscar the Grouch.

I was happy to see Jeopardy! win best game show. The show has really aged well in my opinion. Also while I admit, I was rooting for Meredith Vieira, I was happy for Todd Newton when he won best game show host.

As a long-time fan, I'm personally torn about Days of our Lives winning best writing. To be fair, the award was given based on an episode in November 2011, after Dena Higley was let go and when Marlene McPherson & Darrell Ray Thomas first took over and the show was at a good place. Well before the Alamania, psycho Gabi, trying to pretty much erase Stefano off the canvas, and when half the town decided to start playing Musical Beds. And this writing team has done phenomenal material for Will's coming out and Jack Deveraux's PTSD story. Also, it's nice to see the show getting recognized (the first time in this area since 1976). But it's really awkward considering the jilted, uneven state of most of the show creatively at this point in time and well, considering the fact that NBC fired Marlene and Darrell.

The only significant let down with this year's ceremony was the tribute segment to All My Children and One Life to Live. Not a single clip? Not even the use of the shows' respective theme songs? Seriously, what happened? Did ABC or Prospect Park not give them the permission to use enough material from the shows to make a proper homage? It was a really awkward part of the show. As disappointed as I was with the short tributes As the World Turns and Guiding Light got, they at least used visual media.

After the fiasco that was last year, which contained a seriously rushed ceremony and a constantly repeating infomercial for Vegas, as well as let downs from previous years, I almost considered not watching this year's show. But I left the show this year being entertained and for the most part pleased with how HLN handled things, so I'd be more than happy to see them produce next year's, and I'll be sure to tune in.

No comments: