Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Eagerly Awaiting More "Nuke"

I've mentioned the pros and cons in a previous article, but I'm still enjoying this storyline very much on As The World Turns.

As of last Friday, it has finally hit the fan! Maddie finally found out that her boyfriend Noah is gay. I totally wanted to cry for all three characters. Noah had that huge argument with Luke at Emma's kitchen about everything, and of course, the big scene with Maddie where they broke up. Alexandra Chando really shined during her scenes. I swear, she was so good at showing her emotion. First showing the fact that she was mad over the fact that Noah used her to please his dad, and then showing that it's okay if he's gay or bisexual, and if he's got feelings for Luke, there's nothing wrong with it. And telling him that he doesn't have to be with a girl to prove he's a man. He already is. And that is so true. So true.

And Lily's talk with Luke about what's been going on was much better than the one with Holden. It was nice that they wanted to do a scene with Holden and Luke, but they were both really like "I don't wanna talk about my problems" right now. Luke, of course, with Noah, and Holden with his being upset over Lily keeping things from him.

The character of Winston still makes me want to reach into the television and strangle him, so I know that Daniel Hugh-Kelly is still doing his job and doing it well. He's a really fine actor. I've enjoyed him on Ryan's Hope as well. Winston's really a cruel dude. It's not okay for his son to like boys, but he can murder someone? Pretty much everyone else hates him too. The nicknames speak for themselves. "Daddy Dearest." "Colonel Creepy." The list goes on.

And the previews for tomorrow look awesome. I just know Lily's gonna rip Winston a new one after reading her the classic "oh-I-know-your-son-is-trying-to-turn-my-kid-gay" balderdash riot act. And Noah finally admits that he is gay. Yay for him! I wanted to throw confetti in the air when I saw that, no joke.

I know one way of how I'm really liking this storyline again. I've always hated portmanteaus featuring couple names, celebrity or soap opera, with a true passion. I mean, I really loathe them. "Bennifer," "Brangelina," "Tomkat." The loathing all started with Bennifer. These are very common and popular in the soap world. For instance, "Jeva" (Josh and Reva, Guiding Light), and "CarJack" (Jack and Carly, As The World Turns). I didn't think I'd like the idea of "Nuke" either. I mean, I was initially thinking, "Why in the world would someone name this couple after something you do to a frozen dinner in a microwave?" But for some reason, in my mind, I've been saying "Nuke" more often than I should. A minor sign indeed, but a good sign that I am fully invested in this. However, "Gwill" (Gwen and Will, As The World Turns) still sounds majorly icky. And "Shimi" for Shawn and Mimi of Days of our Lives is just hilarious.

Things are getting so much better, if only they were featured a bit more as some of the other characters are...

No comments: