Monday, July 2, 2012

Anderson Cooper - It's Official

So if you haven't heard already...

For many years this issue with Anderson Cooper's sexuality has been a debate with a number of people, sometimes heated. But this question was discussed for the first time publicly from his own point of view in this open e-mail to Andrew Sullivan which includes these words:

“The fact is, I’m gay, always have been, always will be, and I couldn’t be any more happy, comfortable with myself, and proud.”

Anderson Cooper, I am so proud of you. He has always been one of my heroes in the world of television news and journalism. Always has been, always will be.

You know something… what’s funny to me is that with all the pictures of him out in public with a guy and stuff what actually made it click for me was his friendship with Kathy Griffin, seeing the way they click together, especially on the New Year's Eve shows. I love their relationship. It’s so sweet and hilarious.

And forget these facetious “FINALLY” headlines. Coming out is a personal journey. If this announcement was too slow for some, well then that’s too bad for them. While a lot of us say with some people “duh” or “we already know”, it’s about personal liberation. It doesn’t matter if I knew or if anyone else knew beforehand. What matters is that he said it when he felt like it, and that he felt comfortable about doing it.

No comments: