Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Happy Birthday, Betty White!

I really enjoyed Monday’s NBC special honoring one of the legendary golden girls. All of the classic clips (especially since I'm such a sucker for nostalgia), and all of those legends there in one room. Even a funny moment with the President! Carol Burnett has aged very well. I think my favorite part was the game show salute with Joel McHale, Carol Burnett, Ed Asner, Valerie Harper, and Vicki Lawrence. Just as a side note, I'm thinking Joel would make a hilarious game show host considering how deadpan he reacts to silly answers.

It’s impossible to pick only favorite role of hers for me. So much stuff of hers has been enjoyable. So much stuff from a legend in the female comedy world. From the fierce Sue Ann Nivens on Mary Tyler Moore, to the naïve Rose Nylund on The Golden Girls… in her arguably two most memorable televised roles, she’s managed to brilliantly portray two different and extraordinary characters. There’s also Mama’s Family, her many guest roles on other series, such as The Simpsons, Family Guy, and who can forget her current role on Hot in Cleveland. And let’s not forget all of her years on game shows, too. Easily one of the best players that ever walked a game show set. I'd say Pyramid and Password were the two shows I looked forward to the most in this particular genre. She could play a word game like no other.

As a person there are a number of things that make me respect her very much: her professionalism, her admiration for animals, her open-mindedness. Just an all-around wonderful human being.

I hope she has many more birthdays to come.

No comments: