Wednesday, March 12, 2008

ATWT: Noah's Solution

For the episodes that aired from the week of March 3rd-7th:

Monday, March 3rd:

Well, I thought the dialogue was certainly an improvement over last week’s. Though I’m sure that by the time this is all over, this will never be brought up again and they won’t bother to visit Colonel Mayer in prison. I was impressed with the fact that Holden didn’t try to gloss over the facts when telling Faith that Luke and Noah were gay bashed.


Thursday, March 6th:

I couldn’t help but notice more of the blatant censorship between Luke and Noah on this episode. Would it have killed them to show them kiss, even briefly? And I love that one can feel up another’s thigh but they can’t be shown kissing. Also, in my opinion, they missed a pretty good opportunity with Casey. I mean, there’s the potential awkwardness that could have been brought up by now since Noah dated his ex Maddie while he was still in the closet. Interesting seeing some character interaction though with Matt.


Friday, March 7th:

I love how Oakdale has a Homeland Security branch of its very own. It’s sad that I wasn’t even expecting a kiss when Noah told Luke that he loved him. I also really wish that it was said before all of this Ameera drama. There was one thing that I did like during their conversation outside. I did like that Luke mentioned that he thought Noah marrying Ameera would bring him back into the closet, and that it wasn’t said that he’d be “straight again” or something of that nature. I’m glad the writers made sure to get that message out there clearly and accurately. You can tell Luke’s heart is breaking because of all this.

I realize that it’s not the storyline itself that bothers me, but how it’s being done. How can Noah pass off this sham wedding if he was caught kissing Luke by Homeland Security Officials? How can they get married and have it be believable when it seems pretty much everyone in Oakdale knows that Noah’s gay? Also, I find that this storyline is going too fast. Noah’s known Ameera for only a few days and it’s like all of a sudden the marriage solution comes to mind. It goes way too fast, compared to Carly/Kit/Jack’s, which is moving at a snail’s pace. Then there’s the fact that this just seems to be like something that was made just to delay Luke and Noah being intimate even more.

The acting is pretty good though. Van and Jake, as well as Jon, Martha and Tala are doing a pretty good job with what they have to work with.

The media response to the lack of Luke and Noah kissing is pretty spectacular. I want to thank every media outlet for covering the story, especially The Associated Press and CNN Headline News’ Showbiz Tonight. Finally, Procter & Gamble is being called out on their hypocrisy. Thursday’s episode of As The World Turns aired the week that the media articles started being posted and the subject started being talked about, so now any new viewers who saw last week’s shows can now see what the other fans are so steamed about.

No comments: