Thursday, December 13, 2007

ATWT: Luke and Noah Disgruntlement

You know, there can be days where there are scenes between Luke and Noah which can be without a doubt pretty much always well-acted even when the writing is not up to par or for some reason irks me, just simply because Van and Jake can act and have such amazing chemistry. And there are the days when the writers do their job and follow through with these two and it is all perfect for that day. However, lack of affection is really, REALLY starting to get on my nerves. Really. I was content with the hand-holding for a little while because at that point it had been so incredibly long since they’d done THAT, so I was going to take all I can get. But I’m in total 100% agreement with many other Luke and Noah fans now who just simply do not understand why we have gone two and a half months without any form of kissing. And it REALLY irked me Wednesday, seeing as though there were two very important scenes where any couple would have kissed at the end. They didn’t even hug! After Luke made it into Noah’s arms after walking, that was the biggest “KISS ALREADY!!” moment of all. If I walked into my boyfriend’s arms in similar way, you’re darn right I’d give him a kiss. Yeah, it was an adorable scene and I loved it, but any other couple would have kissed, even briefly. Craig and Meg, Will and Gwen, and other couples kiss on this show all the time, countless times, on a regular basis. As far as aired kisses go, Luke and Noah have kissed twice, that’s right, TWICE, since their storyline has begun. One was proven to be edited out. I have no problem with watching straight couples kissing and embracing. None whatsoever. Kissing and showing embrace is certainly not why I’m dissatisfied with Will and Gwen’s past several storylines and character direction, or why I think that the Craig/Meg/Rosanna/Paul storyline was a complete dud.

But it’s just absolutely absurd for Procter & Gamble/CBS/Executive Producer Chris Goutman, or whoever to suggest that they’re being treated equally as any other couple when they’re a) only on once a week pretty much regularly and b) they show little to no kind of affection. Not to mention that with two kisses, one was proven to be slightly longer, and another short one was edited out. These are supposed to be two 18-year-olds. The lack of kissing and even hugging between them is just completely and totally unrealistic. I’ve never in my life watched an actual couple on a show and at the end of every romantically ending scene chant “KISS, DAMN IT!” at the television in frustration because it’s not happening. Again I ask what is the deal? This storyline has gotten SO much positive attention since the start. Even before it started. Van and Jake have no problem doing kissing scenes. They’ve also said they’ve gotten way more positive than negative responses. I’m not asking them to rip their clothes off and for one of them to throw the other on the dining room table and go at it like rabbits every time they’re at the farm -- I’m asking for a peck on the cheek, a peck on the lips. Kiss each other goodbye. A hug when Noah walks in the door. Simple things like that. That is not too much to ask. And it also doesn't help that certain scenes are just so obvious.

I was impressed and shocked with the fact that the show had them discuss them actually having sex (even with suggestive eye movement to Emma!), but how can this couple discuss that and the powers that be seemingly balk at the idea of kissing? Sex is without a doubt a much bigger deal and is more important in a relationship than kissing. So why is kissing between these two somehow frowned upon? It’s just obvious these two characters are macking off screen. Wednesday had some awesome scenes with Luke, Noah, Emma and Holden, and I am eternally grateful for this show to have a love story between two men. And I'm also glad that Noah will spend the holidays with Luke and that things are going great for Noah. Yesterday's stuff with them was so good. But at the same time I think it’s just sad that Noah has kissed Maddie more than Luke. Just sad. There’s no other way to say it. I am a pretty easy person to please and I really don't think I'm demanding too much. This is one out of a number of things that As The World Turns in general really, really needs to work on.

It seems that sexuality on American TV is progressing backwards instead of forwards. To me that is just pathetic.

No comments: